The president of the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), Luis Rubiales, confirmed on Tuesday the reappointment of Luis Enrique as Spain coach.
Luis Enrique replaces Robert Moreno, who had been in charge since the former Barcelona coach stepped down for personal reasons five months ago.
Moreno oversaw Monday's 5-0 win against Romania in Madrid but he will not be the No.1 for the European Championships next summer.
Rubiales said it's up to Luis Enrique to choose his own backroom staff when asked if Moreno would stay on in another capacity. But he refused to comment on reports the relationship between the two former colleagues was strained and would prevent that happening, with reports claiming Juan Carlos Unzue will come in as Luis Enrique's No.2.
Luis Enrique first took charge of Spain after the 2018 World Cup. He replaced Fernando Hierro, who had taken over from Julen Lopetegui on the eve of the finals. Rubiales had sacked Lopetegui following the news he had agreed to take charge of Real Madrid after the tournament.
However, Luis Enrique was forced to step down earlier this year due to his daughter being ill. She has since passed away and the former Barcelona coach has now decided, following a period of mourning, he is ready to return to management.
Rubiales insisted that Moreno had not been kept in the dark and that the process of Luis Enrique's return has been transparent.
"It's important you know the truth," the RFEF chief said in a press conference. "We're going to reveal what happened. Today we can confirm that Luis Enrique is returning to the national team. On June 19, we presented Robert Moreno. On that day, we signed a contract that nade is clear that if Luis Enrique could return, he would return. No one can feel deceived here. We have been transparent at all times."
Rubiales even said that it had been Moreno who had first informed the Federation of Luis Enrique's desire to return to the dugout.