El Periodico: Barça propose 40 percent wage deferral to club's big earners

Pique, Busquets, Alba and Sergi Roberto are all in talks with the club over short-term cuts

| sport

Barcelona continue to work on reducing the wage bill, an urgent matter they must address this summer. One of the tasks they are facing is to reach an agreement with Gerard Pique, Sergio Busquets, Jordi Alba and Sergi Roberto over salary cuts or deferrals.

So far, the club have not been able to strike a deal with the four veterans over new terms for their contracts, although talks are continuing.

According to El Periodico, Barça have made an offer for the players to receive 60 percent of their wages this season, with the remaining 40 percent deferred and split across the remaining years of their deals.

That means the club could be willing to extend their deals to spread out the payments and make the necessary savings this season.

The report says Busquets is open to the offer, while Pique's already said OK. Sergi Roberto is also willing to talk terms but his situation is slightly different as his current terms expire in 2022.

Alba is the most reluctant so far. "The one who seems more resistant, although not that much, is Jordi Alba," the cited media claim.

However, the club can still not be certain that LaLiga will accept this option, given president Javier Tebas has said "fictitious contracts" will not provide solutions.

Temas

cerrar
Sport

SPORT.es

Descarga gratis la app en tu móvil