Chapecoense will become the sixth Brazilian team to play in the Joan Gamer Trophy. The first five were: Flamengo, Vasco da Gama, Botafogo, Internacional de Porto Alegre and Santos.
Two of those teams -- Vasco da Gama (1972, 1980, 1981) and Internacional de Porto Alegre (1982, 1989, 1991) -- have played in it three times, while Santos have featured in two editions of the Gamer (1998, 2013). Flamengo (1968) and Botafogo (1978) have both appeared once.
Before the Gamper became a one-off game, it was a four team tournament, but Barça always played against the Brazilian sides apart from in 1991.
Enric Llaudet launched the Trophy in 1966 and for the first 30 years it always featured four teams. However, since 1996 the semifinal formar has been abandoned.
Only Internacional de Porto Alegre, via a penalty shootout, have beaten Barça in the Gamper albeit after a draw. In total, Barcelona have played nine Brazilian sides in the Trophy, winning six games, drawing three and losing none. They have scored 22 goals and conceded nine.
Here are there results against Brazilian opposition:
- Final (22.08.1968): FCB – Flamengo 5-4
- Third place (23.08.1972): FCB – Vasco da Gama 0-0 (penalties: 5-4)
- Third place (23.08.1978): FCB – Botafogo 3-2
- Final (20.08.1980): FCB – Vasco da Gama 2-1
- Semifinal (18.08.1981): FCB – Vasco da Gama 1-0
- Semifinal (24.08.1982): FCB – SC Internacional 0-0 (penalties 1-4)
- Third place (23.08.1989): FCB – SC Internacional 1-0
- Final (25.08.1998): FCB – Santos 2-2 (penalties 5-4)
- Final (02.08.2013): FCB – Santos 8-0