The Spain international rejected Barça's advances to stay put in London
Cesar Azpilicueta was Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez's No.1 pick to strengthen at right-back in the summer before the Spain international signed a new deal with Chelsea.
For weeks, Azpilicueta waited on Barça's interest to advance before in the end taking the decision to sign a new deal at Chelsea, where he has been for a decade.
Upon making the decision, Azpilicueta told Xavi, who he says understood his reasons for sticking in London.
"It was a unique situation at Chelsea at the time," 'Azpi' told Cadena Ser. "I had the 30-game clause, there were sanctions on the club, we did not know who was going to be the new owner and, if I didn't [play 30 games], I was a free agent.
"I have always been committed to Chelsea, though, and I thought it was best to stay. I am happy there. The new owners arrived and showed me they really wanted me to stay.
"London is my home and my kids speak better English than Spanish. When I took the decision, I think Xavi understood. If things are made clear, people understand."
Azpilicueta, 33, is currently part of the Spain squad at the World Cup in Qatar. They face Morocco in the last 16 on Tuesday.
"It gets good from here and we have to show what we are capable of," Azpilicueta said of Spain's campaign so far.