Antoine Griezmann became Barcelona's latest signing on Friday but he is not the most expensive player the Catalan club have ever signed.
Griezmann, 28, becomes the third most costly player the Spanish champions have bought, beaten by Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele.
According to official figures, Barça paid Griezmann's 120 million euro release clause, despite Atletico feeling they should have paid 200 million. The Rojiblanco are convinced the agreement between the player and the club pre-dates July 1, which is when his release dropped 80 million.
Coutinho, the dearest
Barça's record signing remains Coutinho. The club paid 120 million up front with 40 million in add-ons. So far, they have paid 15 million more, taking the total cost of the deal to 135 million.
Dembele is second on the list. He coust 105 million from Borussia Dortmund, with 40 million in potential add-ons. Of those variables, 20 million has already been paid, taking his cost to 125 million, a fraction more than what has been paid for Griezmann.
Both Coutinho and Dembele were signed after the Catalans had sold Neymar for 222 million.
Record signings at Barcelona
- Philippe Coutinho 2018 (Liverpool FC) 120,000,000 (+ 40 in add-ons, of which 15 have been paid)
- Ousmane Dembele 2017 (Borussia Dortmund) 105,000,000 (+40 in add-ons, of which 20 have been paid)
- Antoine Griezmann 2019 (Atletico de Madrid) 120,000.000
- Luis Suarez 2014 (Liverpool FC) 82,000,000
- Frenkie de Jong 2019 (Ajax Ámsterdam) 75,000.000 (+11 in add-ons).
- Zlatan Ibrahimović 2009 (Inter de Milán) 69,500,000 (The price cost less, but included Samuel Eto'o, who Inter valued at 20 million).
- Neymar da Silva 2013 (Santos FC) 57,000,000 (The original figure given by Barcelona, although others claim it was closer to 100 million in the end)
- Malcom 2018 (Girondins de Burdeos) 41,000,000
- Paulinho 2017 (Guangzhou Evergrande) 40,000,000
- David Villa 2010 (Valencia CF) 40,000,000
- Marc Overmars 2000 (Arsenal FC) 40,000,000