Josep Maria Bartomeu explained the discrepancy between the club's version of events and Quique Setien's which occurred during the new Barcelona coach's presentation on Tuesday.
The Barcelona president spoke exclusively to SPORT's Albert Masnou about the last few days at the Catalan club.
During Setien's news conference, Bartomeu explained that the club had been speaking with possible coaches for a while, while Setien said that he'd learned he'd got the job on Monday, while he was out in his home village walking past the cows.
"We spoke with Quique a few days ago about the possibility of coaching Barcelona," Bartomeu told SPORT. "He has said that he knew he was on a list of possible coaches, but he didn't believe he would be chosen.
"At the end of the board meeting, he was called to be told he had been chosen. That's why there's confusion over the dates because he's referring to that, because until the board meeting ended there was no decision, but the decision proposed by Eric Abidal and Ramon Planes to the board was Quique Setien.
"The board of directors approved the phone call to Setien to tell him: 'We can confirm you're the chosen one.' For that reason, he didn't know he would be chosen, just that he was on a list of possibilities."