Barcelona have set a 48-hour deadline to sign a No.9. The club don't want the search to go on amid the necessity for a new striker to come in as soon as possible. Even though the transfer window is open until Friday, the Blaugrana hierarchy hope to have someone tied down by the end of Monday.
Rodrigo Moreno remains the top target. Negotiations with Valencia continue with the club hopeful of agreeing on a loan move until the summer, with a deal made permanent on July 1. In that scenario, Barça would be able to include the fee in next year's outgoings.
Valencia's director of communications, Roman Bellver, told Movistar this weekend that the club are "prepared" if Rodrigo does leave this week and recognised Barça are among the teams interested in him.
Asked about the Spain international's future, he said that "last year there was interest in Rodrigo and there is now, too." He also revealed there's more than one offer for Rodrigo. "For the good players there's always interest and that's the case with Rodrigo as well."
Barça are also sounding out other options, such as Monaco's Wissam Ben Yedder, although his price complicates things. Monaco paid 40 million to Sevilla for him last summer and would ask for double that now. A 'secret' option could also be on the table, which could maybe be Lautaro Martinez, who's not thought to be available until the summer but it wanted by Barca.
Aubameyang (Arsenal) had been touted but has now been ruled out and Edinson Cavani (PSG) is close to signing for Atletico Madrid.